Kidney Disease Research Updates
NKDEP Offers New Online Resources for Identifying and Managing Patients with Kidney Disease
To make it easier for primary care providers to find the information they need to manage patients with chronic kidney disease (CKD), the National Kidney Disease Education Program (NKDEP) redesigned its website with improved navigation and expanded, easy-to-understand content. Of particular interest, the new Identify and Manage Patients section distills evidence-based information to assist with patient management—from initial CKD diagnosis to preparation for renal replacement therapy. Specific online NKDEP resources to help you manage patients include:
- The Manage Patients with CKD section, which contains extensive content on monitoring CKD progression, steps to slow progression and reduce complications of CKD, a comprehensive overview of CKD complications and comorbidities, and considerations for addressing a patient’s functional status and quality-of-life issues.
- Information and tools to help primary care providers collaborate with nephrologists.
- GFR calculators to help you estimate kidney function for adults and children.
- The Kidney Disease Education Lesson Builder (located in the Patient Education section) to help educators create and implement lesson plans for counseling patients with CKD about managing their disease and preparing for RRT.
- The Resource Center, which lists all of NKDEP’s publications and tools and allows you to easily sort resources by categories such as Kidney Disease Testing. It also includes a videos tab that features a series of provider education modeling videos (in both English and Spanish), as well as stories from partners and professionals who have used NKDEP materials in the field.
Additionally, the Get Involved web section has resources for organizations interested in helping NKDEP raise awareness about kidney disease. There you can find tools—including e-badges, newsletter content, and social media posts—to help you share NKDEP’s free educational resources with community and organization members.
We welcome you to visit the new website and encourage you to share the site with your colleagues and patients!
NKUDIC Offers New Statistics Resources Online
The National Kidney and Urologic Diseases Information Clearinghouse (NKUDIC) has posted an updated webpage devoted to kidney and urologic diseases statistics at www.kidney.niddk.nih.gov/statistics. The page contains new links to publications by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the National Center for Health Statistics as well as links to the United States Renal Data System (USRDS) and the new Urologic Diseases in America compendium.
A new fact sheet by NKUDIC—Kidney Disease Statistics for the United States—uses colorful graphs and charts to present data from the two most recent Annual Data Reports by the USRDS. Finally, the new webpage contains a link to additional sources of kidney and urologic diseases statistics.
The NKUDIC has updated the following publications:
- Goodpasture Syndrome
- Hematuria: Blood in the Urine
- Imaging of the Urinary Tract
- Medical Tests for Prostate Problems
- Nephrotic Syndrome in Adults
- Pyelonephritis: Kidney Infection
- The Urinary System and How It Works
- Urinary Incontinence in Children
- Urodynamic Testing
- What I need to know about My Child’s Bedwetting
These publications are available at www.kidney.niddk.nih.gov.
NIH Publication No. 13–4531
Page last updated January 31, 2013